This 6 week Foundations Course helps aspiring entrepreneurs and existing business owners create a comprehensive business plan and gain the skills needed to successfully launch or grow their business. Participants acquire a clear aerial perspective of operations, financials, product/service development, and marketing. The concepts of start-up and overhead costs, units, break-even point, cash flow, mission and vision, target markets, and marketing strategy are featured.
The course is part of Mountain BizWorks’ 2016-17 High Country training series offered in partnership with Ascent Business Network and with funding support from USDA Rural Development and Appalachian Regional Commission.
The next course will take place on Thursday nights from January 12th to February 16th, 6-9 PM at the Appalachian Enterprise Center in Boone. This 6-week intensive will be facilitated by Madelyn Hjertmann, Ascent’s new Program Director and owner of the Valle Crucis Lavender House. Click the website link below to register on Ascent’s website.
In 18 hours over 6 weekly sessions, participants will gain a clear aerial perspective of their business operations, financials, research and development, and marketing strategies. Participants will leave the course with a comprehensive business plan, a clear vision for their business, and concrete tasks for future work.
- Week 1 Gaining Perspective: We start by viewing our business concepts from a high altitude, in order to define our visions and get a good look at the main topics to be addressed.
- Week 2 Laying the Foundation: Next, we return to the ground level to define our lines of business and analyze financial essentials, from overhead costs to break-even points.
- Week 3 Getting into the Flow: In the third session, we’ll cover the financial bases of cash flow, sales forecasting, and financial documents.
- Week 4 Mission & Markets: Then, we’ll revisit our mission, discuss market research, and identify competitors in order to align with our target markets.
- Week 5 Get the Word Out: Next, we’ll discuss creative marketing strategies and give peer feedback on marketing materials.
- Week 6 Goodbye & Good Luck: Finally, we’ll present our business plans, share final pitches, and plan for next steps.