- This event has passed.
Polk County: Foundations Business Planning Class w/ Steve Modlin. October 03 – November 14 (Thursday Evenings)
October 3 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Class meets for six sessions over seven weeks, with no class on Thursday, October 31.
Join a cohort of aspiring and existing entrepreneurs to gain an aerial perspective of your vision and the comprehensive business skills necessary to help bring your visions into reality.
In 18 hours over 6 weekly sessions, participants will gain a clear aerial perspective of their business operations, financials, research and development, and marketing strategies. They will leave the course with a comprehensive business plan, a clear vision for their business, and concrete tasks for future work.
- Week 1: Gaining Perspective: We start by viewing our business concepts from a high altitude, in order to define our visions and get a good look at the main topics to be addressed.
- Week 2: Laying the Foundation: Next, we return to the ground level to define our lines of business and analyze financial essentials, from overhead costs to break-even points.
- Week 3: Getting into the Flow: In the third session, we’ll cover the financial bases of cash flow, sales forecasting, and financial documents.
- Week 4: Mission & Markets: Then, we’ll revisit our mission, discuss market research, and identify competitors in order to align with our target markets.
- Week 5: Get the Word Out: Next, we’ll discuss creative marketing strategies and give peer feedback on marketing materials.
- Week 6: Goodbye & Good Luck: Finally, we’ll present our business plans, share final pitches, and plan for next steps.
Throughout the class, emphasis will be placed on developing the social capital of the group. Participants will be encouraged to gather feedback from their peers, creating a strong network of deep support and synergy.
Steve and his wife reside in the Mill Spring community of Polk County, NC. They are the founders and owners of The Old Mule Company, producing their own line of gourmet sauces on their family farm. In addition, they maintain a sheep livestock operation. Their family built company has been in business for over 25 years.
The Foundations course fee is $375; however through the Foothills Launch! initiative with support from USDA Rural Development and the Isothermal Planning & Development Commission, we are able to offer this course for only $75 per participant. To redeem this special reduced price, please use the scholarship code “FOOTHILLS-LAUNCH” when registering. The total is due upon enrollment to reserve your seat and a payment link will be included in your registration confirmation email.
See above for the special reduced price details for this course.
Class will begin on the start date and will meet on the same weekday and time every week. Some classes have a built-in bye week for a holiday or inclement weather make up class. Attendance for all classes is recommended to not fall behind in any of the material. Week 1 is required, but if you have a scheduling conflict where you would miss any other classes, please let Kareen know. Additional support may be available for any missed class material. This is a PM class and will be held 6-9pm. To inquire about adding your name to a waiting list for FULL classes, contact Kareen Boncales, firstname.lastname@example.org (828) 253-2834 ext. 27
Complete our online registration form to hold your seat in the class of your choice. We will follow up with you within a few days. You are welcome to contact us with any follow-up questions or ask about the status of your request.Continue to the Foundations Registration Form »
One-On-One Business Coaching
During or following the course, One-On-One Business Coaching may be a great way to reinforce and deepen your understanding of the topics you learn in class and relate them to your business concept. To submit an application for coaching Click Here.