Contracts: Why the Heck do I Need them for My Small Business?
This beginner-level seminar offers participants an opportunity to learn about small business contracts, why they are needed, and how to read them. Small business attorney, Kristy Cook of Mod Law Firm, brings her near decade experience in contract law and management to this session with the goal of teaching attendees to:
- Understand the basics of contract law and the legal basics of a contract;
- Understand the different types of contracts common to small businesses, including the difference between an independent contractor and an employee;
- Identify important elements of contracts and understand what they mean;
- Identify the roles, responsibilities, and opportunities contracting provides to build relationships, set expectations, and balance conflicting priorities;
- Identify when a contract is in breach and what to do about it; and
- Apply negotiation strategies to vendor agreements.