Mountain BizWorks, the Outdoor Gear Builders of WNC, and the NC Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC) are excited to support the third Waypoint Accelerator cohort.
Please note that the 3rd Waypoint Cohort will be conducted semi-virtually, with some sessions in-person in Asheville, and others via Zoom. We will continue to closely monitor COVID-19 and will follow CDC, state & local public guidelines as they evolve. Read more about the most up-to-date CDC guidelines here.
Cohort #3 Timeline
- The 3rd Cohort of the Waypoint Accelerator program will be announced and the application window will open early August 2021
- Applications for the second cohort will be due on September 26 at 11:59 p.m. Up to 8 companies will be selected for the second cohort based on a competitive, merit-based review process.
- Companies selected for the first cohort will be notified and announced at the Outdoor Economy Conference, October 12-15, 2021
- The Session Dates and Program Schedule are as follows:
- Thursday November 4, 1pm-6pm: Base Camp – Course Orientation & Wayfinding (IN-PERSON, Asheville)
- Thursday November 11, 9:30am-12pm: Customer Development & The Outdoor Customer (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday November 18, 10:30am-12pm: Go-to-Market Strategy and Tools Pt. 1 (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday December 2, 9:30am-12pm: Go-to-Market Strategy and Tools Pt. 2 (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday December 9, 9:30am-12pm: Financial Modeling (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday January 13, 1pm-5pm: Base Camp – Group Mastermind (IN-PERSON, Asheville)
- Thursday January 20, 9:30am-12pm: Customer Engagement & Conversion (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday January 27, 9:30am-12pm: Legal – Intellectual Property, Risk Management & HR (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday February 03, 9:30am-12pm: Raising Capital for Growth – Pathways & Strategy (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday February 17, 9:30am-12pm: Leadership and the Responsible Outdoor Company (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday February 24, 9:30am-12pm: Art of the Pitch (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday March 03, 9:30am-12pm: Design Thinking (VIRTUAL)
- Thursday March 17, 1pm-5pm: Group Pitch Practice & Feedback (IN-PERSON/VIRTUAL)
- Thursday March 24, 1pm-5pm: Base Camp – Final Pitch Presentations & Waypoint Graduation (IN-PERSON, Asheville)
All applicants are asked to hold the above session dates and times on their calendars and, if accepted, are expected to commit to the entire duration of the program.
The Application Window for Cohort 3 is Closed.
Matt Godfrey is an advocate and leader in our outdoor business community, serving as the Outdoor Entrepreneur in Residence for Mountain Bizworks, supporting their outdoor business education and cohort based programs. He is the lead facilitator for the Waypoint Accelerator, the first outdoor entrepreneurship and innovation accelerator program east of the Rockies that he helped develop and launch in 2019.
Matt is also the Executive Director for the Outdoor Gear Builders of WNC (OGB), an outdoor business association made up of more that 70 businesses and organizations representing the entire outdoor industry in Western North Carolina. He currently serves on the advisory boards for the Made x Mountains Partnership and Old Fort Outdoors For All.
A coach, connector, partner, educator, leader and facilitator of impactful ideas with a broad range of experience in sales, marketing, finance, operations, leadership, and organizational development. Matt believes collaboration leads to innovation and positive impact within our businesses and communities.
Andy Williamson’s business card says Principal and Executive Director however he is fortunate to serve many roles – a father and husband, a catalyst, salesman, mentor, and advocate, a project manager, board member, outdoor adventurer, a strategic planner, and visionary.
In addition, as principal at Active Strategies Andy leads their team in helping communities and organizations harness the catalytic power of outdoor recreation in order to foster vibrant active cultures. Their vision is to ensure every community and resident has access to quality trails and outdoor recreation that they can use to build and sustain their own unique and vibrant culture.