December 27, 2017
A Review of 2017
This year has been another record breaker for Mountain BizWorks as it accelerates towards its vision of a thriving Western North Carolina which small business owners and aspiring entrepreneurs have access to the capital and education needed to make their dreams a reality- a region where collaboration, creativity, innovation and investment generate opportunity and prosperity for all. Here are highlight of the work done by Mountain BizWorks this year in pursuit of that vision.
Highlights From the Year
- Had a record impact year with more loans made, jobs created, and clients coached than in any prior year
- 45% increase in number of loans closed over prior year
- Continued growing our investments throughout rural WNC. We now have projects funded in 23 diﬀerent WNC counties!
- 60% increase in local individual investor accounts
- Transitioned our new Boone oﬃce from part-time to full-time to better serve entrepreneurs throughout the “High Country”
- Graduated 26 cohorts of new and existing business owners from our Foundations, Alpine, and ScaleUp WNC courses –over 300 individuals
- Awarded $2.9 million in new federal funding from SBA, CDFI Fund, USDA, and EDA
- Added three dynamic new staﬀ to the MBW team
- Recognized by SBA as the “Women in Business Advocate of the Year” with 56% of new loans going to women entrepreneurs.
Board of Directors: Mike Mooney, Chair (Bank of America, retired), Erica Anderson, Vice Chair (Land of Sky Regional Council),Gary Heisey, 2nd Vice Chair (Blue Ridge Community College, retired), Rebecca Crandall, Secretary (McGuire, Wood & Bissette), Fred Waldkoetter, Treasurer (ﬁnance professional, retired), William J. Carrington III (Self Help Credit Union),Vanessa Coral (Wells Fargo Bank), Ray Green
(Paradigm Learning), Rollin Groseclose (Johnson Price Sprinkle PA), James E. Lee III (The Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club), Peter Marks
(Seed Programs International), C. Andres Montoya (CAM Services), Tim Schaller (The Wedge Brewing Co.), Jeﬀrey Scott (Metamorphic Consulting)
Staff: Patrick Fitzsimmons (Executive Director), Kelly Foster (Small Business Lender), Chris Grasinger (High Country Regional Manager), Moriah Heaney (Communications and Development Associate), Kimberly Hunter (Entrepreneurship Program Manager),
Ryan Jaskot (Small Business Lender), Jill Kichefski (Business Coaching Coordinator), Ward McAllister (Accountant), Christopher Murrey
(Chief Credit Oﬃcer), Matt Raker (Director of Community Investments & Impact), Ingrid Sander (Controller), Kate Schwartz (Lending Services Manager), Julia Staines (Small Business Lender)